Saturday, August 4, 2012

Urban Farmer's Daughter

There's nothing like slipping into a gingham dress to make a girl feel like a 1930's farmer's daughter. Whenever I wear this, I want to pour a cold glass of buttermilk and wait on the front porch for the menfolk to come in from the fields.

I'm sure growing up on a farm in the 1930's wasn't nearly as romantic as I imagine it, but these are the sorts of stories I tell myself when I fall in love with an outfit.  Although it isn't from the 1930's, this dress does have a slightly interesting true fact attached to it. My mother once twirled through life in this dress when she purchased it new in the 1970's. I feel incredibly lucky to have such a lovely and stylish mother who kept all of her favorite outfits to pass along to her future daughter.  I'll be featuring many more of her gems in upcoming posts. 

I haven't seen much gingham in stores lately, but I suggest we all keep an eye out and help it make a comeback.  As much as I love the city (and urban life in general), I also swoon over the idea of picnics with sweet farmer boys and homemade pies and all the other pretty little country staples of another time and place.  We might never experience that dreamy imagined life, but with a dress like this, a girl can almost pretend the city sirens are cowbells tinkling in the distance. 


Dress: Vintage
Shoes: Nine West




So tell me what you think, my loves.  Should we start a gingham revolution? 

2 comments: